ACTIVE TRADES

Gap Down Open: Buy the Dip or Short More as the Nasdaq Faces Further Downside?

oktober 22, 2026 · 6 min read ·AI stocks ·bearish stock market ·bearish trading ·futures trading ·market trends ·Nasdaq futures ·Nasdaq technical analysis ·put options ·stock market correction ·stock market crash ·stock market forecast ·stock market outlook ·technical analysis ·trading strategies

The stock market is heading toward a gap-down open, raising an important question for traders: is this the right time to buy the dip, or is the market preparing for another leg lower?

My decision is clear. I have added to my short positions, and I expect the market to trade below last week’s low. The technical structure suggests that the recent selling pressure is not necessarily over, and I believe traders should pay close attention to what happens next.

In this market analysis, I’ll explain why I remain bearish, why I added to my Nasdaq futures shorts, and which developments could trigger a deeper stock market correction.

Why I’m Bearish on the Stock Market

The main reason for my bearish outlook is the strength of last week’s selling pressure.

The market rejected a new high, followed by aggressive selling. This is an important technical development because a failed breakout can signal that buyers are losing control and that sellers are becoming more aggressive.

When a market attempts to establish a new high but fails to hold that level, it raises the risk of a reversal. Historical price structures show that these rejections can be followed by a move below the previous swing low.

That is precisely what I’m watching now.

My base case is that last week’s low will eventually break. I don’t necessarily expect the market to collapse immediately, but I believe the odds favor a move below that level before the current correction is complete.

A Failed Wedge Pattern Triggered My Nasdaq Short

Last week, the Nasdaq formed a wedge pattern that eventually failed. This was an important development in my technical analysis and provided an opportunity to establish bearish positions.

I shorted Nasdaq futures and bought put options after the pattern failed. Both positions remain open.

The trade has moved significantly in our favor, and I have already communicated the position update to my members. The focus now is on managing the trade, protecting accumulated profits, and identifying the right opportunities to take profits if the market moves lower.

When a trade develops as expected, the objective changes. Instead of simply looking for an entry, the priority becomes managing risk and allowing the price structure to determine the next decision.

Why I Expect the Market to Trade Below Last Week’s Low

The previous low is the most important level on my radar.

There are three reasons why I expect the market to test it.

1. Strong selling pressure

The aggressive selling last week suggests that sellers were willing to enter the market even as prices approached a new high. That failed attempt to break higher is an important warning sign.

2. Rejection of the new high

A failed breakout can trap buyers who entered in anticipation of further upside. If the market subsequently weakens, those positions can add to selling pressure as traders exit.

3. The failed wedge pattern

The failed wedge reinforces the bearish technical structure. Rather than continuing higher, the market reversed and broke down, supporting the case for a further move lower.

These factors support my expectation that last week’s low will eventually give way. However, the actual price reaction around that level will be important. A decisive breakdown would strengthen the bearish case, while a strong rejection could force a reassessment.

Should You Buy the Dip or Short More?

This is the question traders are facing as the market approaches the next session with a potential gap down.

A gap lower does not automatically mean that prices will continue falling. Markets can rebound sharply after a weak open, particularly when short sellers take profits or buyers step in at important technical levels.

However, I am not treating the gap down as an automatic buying opportunity.

My focus remains on the broader price structure. If the market rebounds weakly and fails to reclaim broken support, I will view that as evidence that sellers remain in control.

If the market instead recovers strongly and invalidates the bearish setup, that would be a reason to reassess the trade.

For now, my expectation remains that the market will trade below last week’s low. I prefer to follow the established technical structure rather than assume every decline is an opportunity to buy.

Could the AI Trade Trigger a Deeper Stock Market Correction?

Beyond the charts, there are fundamental risks that could accelerate the selloff.

One of the biggest concerns is the enormous amount of capital being invested in artificial intelligence infrastructure. If investors begin to question whether AI spending will generate the expected returns, technology stocks could face additional selling pressure.

A deterioration in expectations for AI demand, spending, or profitability could put pressure on the companies and sectors that have driven much of the market’s recent strength.

Government debt and bond yields are another factor worth watching. If concerns about sovereign borrowing or fiscal sustainability push yields sharply higher, equity valuations could come under additional pressure, particularly in high-growth technology stocks.

Developments in France and the wider European bond market are also worth monitoring. Renewed fiscal concerns could create volatility in yields and broader financial markets.

These are potential catalysts, not assumptions that must come true for my bearish trade to work. The technical setup remains the foundation of my current outlook.

What Would Change My Bearish Outlook?

Although I expect a move below last week’s low, I will continue monitoring the market rather than assuming the outcome is guaranteed.

The following developments would be important:

The objective is to remain disciplined, protect profits, and avoid becoming emotionally attached to a forecast.

My Stock Market Forecast: More Downside Ahead?

My base case is that the market will eventually trade below last week’s low.

The strong selling pressure, rejection of the new high, and failed wedge pattern all support this view. I have already added to my short positions and remain positioned through Nasdaq futures and put options.

The trade is currently profitable, and the priority is to manage that position carefully while waiting for the next significant move.

A deeper correction is possible if negative AI-related developments or renewed bond-market stress emerge. However, those scenarios are not my base case. For now, I am focused on the technical target: a break below last week’s low.

What do you think? Is this a buying opportunity, or are we preparing for another leg lower?

Let me know in the comments whether you agree or disagree, and feel free to ask any questions about the technical setup.

Disclaimer: This article reflects my personal market analysis and trading opinions for informational and educational purposes only. It is not financial advice or a recommendation to buy or sell any financial instrument. Futures and options involve substantial risk. Always conduct your own research and manage position sizes according to your risk tolerance.

Want this kind of breakdown on every trade?

Inside Patreon, every position — wins and losses — gets the full plan-execute-manage-review treatment. Daily updates while trades are on. Direct chat with me.

Join on Patreon

Educational content only. Trading involves substantial risk. The setup grade and outcome described here are specific to my plan, sizing, and risk tolerance. Do your own work.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Ready to think like a professional?

Join on Patreon and see how a firm-trained swing trader actually plans, executes, and manages real positions — every single day.

Join on Patreon